From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Mar 2002 10:43:47 -0500
The drone escape pictured is, in reality, a bee escape "invented" by a Canadian, M. Shaprew.  Today they are widely sold by most dealers in the US and by F. W. Jones in Canada.  Unfortunately, they have become outrageously expensive with dealers charging around $.50 for something with something like $.01 worth of plastic!  The problem is Shaprew's widow who is charging dealers an outrageous price, thinking she has a monopoly.

As we need thousands a year for pollen trap, we now make our own from Stainless Steel.  A few dealers sell them and I expect most will in 2003 as they are much less expensive than the alternative.  Anyone wanting to know which dealers sell the stainless cones should contact me privately.

When buying the drone escapes ask for the plastic bee escapes.  They are widely and wisely used for bee escape boards under filled supers, escapes to remove bees from homes, chimneys, etc., and for Mowat's intended purpose.  If you want to staple them to wood, first soak in water as hot as you can stand to put your hand in for 10-15 minutes.  Then they will accept the staple without shattering.  Drones (and queens) can fit through them, but because of their shape no bee will re-enter the hive or super through the narrow end.

Good luck,

Lloyd

Lloyd Spear, Owner of Ross Rounds, Inc.
Manufacturer of round comb honey equipment and Sundance pollen traps