From:
Joel Govostes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Oct 1996 07:32:01 -0500
Just a note about honey prices in the local grocery chain stores (Central
New York):

A pound of honey (incl. Sue Bee, or other packers) is retailing at a
whopping $2.30 or so.  The more local product from regional packers is
selling for slightly more in the same stores.  This is remarkable!  I've
never seen any prices like these before.  Guess I've been conditioned over
the past several years to think 85 cents is a great price to get,
wholesale.  For fall or dark honey packers were paying only about 60-65
cents.  No doubt this has changed for the better.

Another thing- I have been to the large grocery stores many times when the
honey shelf was pretty well depleted.  Meaning I got there between shelf
stocking rounds.  It reminds me that LOTs of folks are indeed buying up
honey, regularly.  This is encouraging.  Now if we could just reach many of
them, so they know a quality local product is available, and is probably
less expensive.  (I'm not certain it should be less expensive after all)!