From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Oct 2009 07:24:54 -0700
--- On Sat, 9/26/09, allen <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> True, and this is one reason not to be too fussy about
> brood patterns, because doing so may discrimnate against
> hygienic stock.

Hello Allen and All,
I wanted to comment on your quote.  I held it back for several weeks to decide just how best to respond.

I understand that you did carefully chose to use the word ‘may’ which relieves you of commitment.  But I would like to illustrate the two main arguments I wish to be considered here, and that I believe I can support, which are in opposition.
And they are:

1. That one should always be very fussy, and select the best brood patterns, because patterns do NOT accurately reflect the level of hygienic behavior at the colony level.

2. That it is extremely difficult to interpret the cause of a spotty brood pattern, therefore, ignoring a poor pattern might lead to unintended consequence.

To illustrate point #2, I would like to hear opinions from the main speakers of the group; Peter B, Bill T, Bob H, Allen D, Aaron M, Randy O, and others I may have missed, how they would interpret the brood patterns in the link below?

Be assured, this is not a trap, I am not sure of the cause of these brood patterns, but I do have suspicions backed by 8 years of observation concerning the matter. The photos were taken in August of 2001, just coming out of a dearth and mite pressure existing.  Some of my colonies had high varroa infestation others not much.  During this time, beekeepers in my area were suffering a yearly loss on average 30 to 50% or more from September to spring.  The photos were pics selected from those taken of a hasty thrown together hygienic testing of all my colonies in an effort to cull non hygienic colonies prior to the coming season, which I believed were negatively affecting my breeding, or causing mite pressure on other colonies making assessments at the colony level difficult. Although the patterns are an embarrassment to me, that’s what we typically had to deal with during the late 90’s early 00’s.  Today, brood viability is up from about 85% in 2001
 to around 98% starting in 2007

Here are the brood pics:

http://s113.photobucket.com/albums/n237/FeralBeeProject/Hygienic%20Testing/?sort=ascending

Best Wishes,