Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Dec 2010 10:49:39 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (24 lines)
>When I go out on bee calls I carry everything including boots and gloves...
>just in case.  I have not met the AHB swarm here in northern Illinois yet,
>but it may happen.  Generally I don't wear most of what I take. 

There is the important point.  Even if some of us wear next to nothing, we always have -- or should have -- an escape plan and/or full body armour nearby, and a smoker that can be in action in a minute or two.  

It is also a good idea if any problems are anticipated, to light a smoker and have it idling nearby even if it is never used.  Smoke at the right time can be a lifesaver for both beekeeper and bees.  What do you do if you get a hive apart and cannot get close enough to reassemble and close it?

Showboating to bystanders is always fun, but if there are old folks and babies in prams ,and no line of retreat, not warning them or sending them away is irresponsible to the point of being negligent.  I always tell people that things usually go well, but if they don't, everyone within a hundred yards may get stung and not just once.  Just because I'm half-naked and nonchalant does not mean they should be.  watch at your own risk.  Winnie the Pooh was right; about bees at least.

AHB or EHB, the eventual diagnosis does not matter.  If you hit a Really Mean Hive, the experience can be highly unsettling, or even lethal, to you, or even more likely, any living, breathing thing within the hives' territory.  I've encountered pure EHB hives that drove me and my fully clad -- and experienced -- inspection crew right out of the yard, and that was despite our lit and functioning smokers.

A hive that is docile one day can be brutal the next, and without warning.  This phenomenon is rare enough that even a well experienced beekeeper can be taken by surprise, so it is always a good idea to lift each lid carefully and observe before exposing the colony completely.

The same advice applies when moving bees.  I may drive in a Tee and shorts, but I have the full kit at hand.

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

Guidelines for posting to BEE-L can be found at:
http://honeybeeworld.com/bee-l/guidelines.htm

ATOM RSS1 RSS2