From:
Robt Mann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 08:08:02 +1300
>for approximately 2 weeks, large
>part of my country (Macedonia) were under big (I don't
>know how big) ozone hole.
>In about same time - for the sake of my neighbours, I
>couldn't work my bees because the bees were
>unbelievable aggressive.
>... I am only one who speculate that reason
>was in extra UV radiation - all others were convinced
>that reason was NATO strike (low flight of
>helicopters, radiation from bombs and missiles, etc.
>etc.)

>Anyone who had find any correlation/indication between
>aggressiveness of bees and ozone holes (extra UV
>radiation)?

        The Antarctic ozone hole has always been more severe & widespread
than the Arctic version  -  an injustice in that most of the chemicals
(mainly freons) causing the ozone deplation are from the N hemisphere.  We
get (if I recall offhand) 10 - 15% extra UV flux, in summer.  I suppose the
ozone depletion over the descendants of Alex the Great  -  at the same
latitude as us  -  is less than we've got.  But I've not seen any maps of
ozone density for that part of the world.
        My guess would be that this is at most a minor contributor to
aggressive behaviour.  But we don't know; it's just another example of how
neglected applied ecology is among govts.
        I add that the other suggested causes, for Macedonia, are also on
their face implausible.
        Better look for other causes, I reckon.