From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Feb 2015 20:30:21 -0500
> For my serious work, we'll continue to pursue acoustics and infra-red imaging to REDUCE the need to open hives as often

Hi Jerry
Of course, I recognize the value of remote and/or non-intrusive hive monitoring. All the same, my chief concern in all this is that so many people seem to want to have bees without doing beekeeping. I often hear that so and so has said not to open the hives often, that it's "bad for the bees," etc.

However, I will continue to stress that opening the hive is important for the beekeeper. More information is better, and some information cannot be gotten any other way. I recommend to beginners to open the hives as often as the want. Soon enough they will get the picture, and won't need to go in so often.

Sure, there is credible evidence that opening hives is stressful to bees, may spread disease, etc. But the opposite, not opening them, is liable to be worse. I am reminded of the excitement that Langstroth felt when he invented the moveable frame:

> So long as the interior of a hive, was to common observers, a profound mystery, ignorant and designing men might assert what they pleased, about what passed in its dark recesses; but now, when all that takes place in it, can, in a few moments, be exposed to the full light of day, and every one who keeps bees, can see and examine for himself, the man who attempts to palm upon the community, his own conceits for facts, will speedily earn for himself, the character both of a fool and an impostor.  -- L. L. Langstroth

PLB