From:
Logan Vanleigh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 May 1995 07:49:33 -0400
>We have well water which is a great relief after hearing the pesticide and
>chlorination threads.  Still, we don't want to drink the softened water and
>who knows what the neighbors are putting into the water table.  So we
>purchased one of the dual filter

[snip]

>Just pure, clean water.

As long as you flush the bacterial buildup out of the filter.  Sitting
overnight the filters incubate a measurable growth of bacteria in the act
carbon filter (and probably others) that may (and may only) contain
pathogens.  About a 2 minute flush each morning does the trick.  If you're
gone a weekend or a month, you still only need the 2-min flush.  (based on
undergrad research on municipal and well supplied household water systems in
1979).

Logan VanLeigh