From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jan 2009 09:36:19 -0500
New Year message (excerpt)

Beekeepers around the world have met major problems in the last few
years with massive losses of colonies and fluctuating honey markets.
For many beekeepers, times have been tough. Many have asked themselves
whether beekeeping is still a profitable enterprise. The causes for
colony losses have not yet been found, but we have established close
co-operation among scientists and beekeepers to find solutions.
Probably the problems are complex, since there may be more than one
reason for these losses. In some instances the losses of colonies are
caused by a combination of multiple determinants.

Scientists and beekeepers have compiled a list of possible factors to
be investigated. The "Coloss" (Colony Losses) network, with the
participation of Scientists and Beekeepers from 35 countries, is
investigating the problems from many different points of view. At the
next Apimondia Congress in Montpellier, France, scheduled to take
place on 15 - 20 September 2009, we will all be able to hear about the
latest findings as well as discuss with the scientists working on
these problems. To solve this predicament with colony losses we need
to work closely together among Scientists and Beekeepers to find
solutions and we must be willing to look at all possibilities with
open minds.

International Federation of Beekeepers' Associations
Asger Søgaard Jørgensen

www.apimodia2009.com