From:
Bill Greenrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Mar 2011 06:53:55 -0400
>Today it is suddenly dandelion wine making time as the annual flush has erupted.  This is unprecedentedly early. In the days when I used to use them for wine making, maybe a quarter of a century ago, the flush usually occurred around St George's Day (23rd April for those who aren't English).  The last few years it has been getting progressively earlier, last year about the 8th April.  So has the swarming season been getting earlier - bees like dandelions!

That happened to us last year - spring hit very early with a 'heat wave' and temps above 80F/26F in early April.  Everything 'popped', including the fruit trees (not immediately, but a good 2 weeks early).  Then, we had a hard frost, 28F/-2C, in mid-May right at fruit set, and many trees got hit hard.  From my small orchard I ended up getting one plum and no usable apples.  Pears, grapes and berries were unaffected.  So, I suppose that in comparison this winter is more 'normal'.  Guess I was just spoiled by the last few winters.

Dandelion wine, mmmmm, delish.  One of my worst teenage hangovers was when I imbibed in a bit too much of some dandelion wine my buddy's grandfather made.  Went down easy, came up hard.

Bill
Claremont, NH
+43.35687 +43° 21’ 25”
-72.3835   -72° 23’ 01”