From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 May 2016 23:26:07 +0100
>Does anyone have views on Beekeeper or bee keeper?

I find it rather odd that although the word beekeeper is usually preferred,
the initialisation BKA is used so often, e.g. the British Beekeepers
Association (its official title)  somehow becomes the BBKA, not the BBA.

As to honeybee or honey bee, here in the UK I think that I see honey bee
used the more often (try a Google search).  The BBKA is inconsistent in that
it uses both forms on its website.

Langstroth wrote 'The Hive and the Honey-Bee'.

Moving beyond honey bees, it seems to me that bumblebee is used far more
often than bumble bee, even by the Bumblebee Conservation Trust - but then,
they are consistent in that they use 'honeybee' on their website.

Most books seem to use bumblebee, although A Matheson wrote 'Bumble bees for
pleasure and profit' (Cardiff: International Bee Research Association).  One
of our most well-known books on bumble bees, that by F.W.L. Sladen, is
titled 'The Humble-bee'..., while Alford used bumblebees for his epic work.

Surprisingly, the Natural History Museum is totally inconsistent and uses
honey bee, honey, bumble bee and bumblebee on its website.

Best wishes

Peter
52°14'44.44"N, 1°50'35"W