From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Jan 2001 23:26:56 -0500
Hello All,
Everytime Beekeeping takes a step back the industry loses. The last ten
years have taken their toll on the beekeeping industry in the U.S..  Prices
of most wooden ware have doubled.  The reason is simple.  Half as many
beekeepers buying wooden ware.  Half as many beekeepers the USDA feels half
as many beelabs are needed.  If our industry keeps shrinking its possible
another beelab might go.  Like farmers beekeepers are in the minority.
I believe our government is seeing the warning signs by going back in the
*honey business* with the new honey loan.  Unfortunatly to late for those
commercial beekeepers which went under since 1996 when the old loan was
eliminated.  All other comodities competing in a world market in the U.S.
have got comodity loans.  Why was the honey loan chosen to be eliminated?
Those loans and the new LPD mean the same thing to the large beekeeper as
they do to the large farmer.   In many cases the loans are the difference
between staying in business or bankruptcy.  Many large beekeeping
operations are *for sale* if you would only ask the owners.  Many buyers
are interested till they see the books both in beekeeping and farming.  I
salute the Tucson Beelab for the research they have done over the last 50
years and they will be missed.  Unless the beekeeping industry starts
growing again I doubt the Tucson Beelab will be back.
Sincerely,
Bob Harrison
Odessa,Missouri