From:
Barry Birkey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jun 2001 12:50:48 -0500
Various people have commented on their experience with bees from South
Texas:

"I started three hives this year with Buckfasts from the Weavers.  Thus far
they have been the most docile bees I've ever seen."

"I haven't had a problem one, the temperament range from mild to warm."

"Their temperament was no different than that of the packages I had
previously gotten from Georgia or those that I purchased from California
this year."

"I personally have heard of no behaviour problems with packages from
Weaver Apiaries in Texas and many of those are sent into our area."

In light of the recent discussions on AHB's, these comments cause me to once
again contemplate the doublespeak that often surrounds this topic.
Thoughts that come to mind:

AHB's (whatever that is) are known to be found in the states of California,
Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Nevada, Utah and Florida. Even found a colony in
Illinois last year!

How is it that there are supposedly these random boundaries that no AHB's
have crossed? Example: No AHB's to deal with right around Navasota, TX, yet
they can be found much further North, even in mountainous areas with colder
climates?

With all the African stock that's been brought in over the years by various
researchers and scientists and exchanged with various bee breeders in the
south, we're suppose to believe that no AHB's exist in the Gulf states
between Florida and western Texas? This, being a much closer match in
climate for this bee than other states that are quite different.

I have no opinion about Weavers, but only use them as an example in this
discussion. Buckfast bees, brought about by Brother Adam, are made up with
bees from Africa. What is the determining factor that promotes this bee
(with African genes), yet labels another bee a stones throw away as being
worthy of eradication?

Lots more questions but would like some feedback first from the list. Lots
of fuzzy math, it seems to me.

Regards,
Barry