Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Dec 2010 11:49:32 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (20 lines)
Previous post by Mike from LA:  ...... has a study been undertaken to study what affects the migratory movement process itself has on bees?

--- On Sun, 12/19/10, allen <[log in to unmask]> wrote:  I am supposing you are suggesting doing this at night and returning each hive to the exact same spot each was in before the drive and ......

That was what I was thinking.  And, for splitting the hives into two test groups, the selection process would involve every other hive for each of the two groups.   For the initial test, considerations such as you mentioned (tracked-down grass, etc.? ...... the questions of bees left behind and returning the next day, drifting, etc..) would be ignored.   Then, if there was a significant difference noted between the two sets of hives, then further testing with more exacting controls would be involved, i.e.  setting up the yard for the migratory group four or five miles from the original yard so that as much as possible, range conditions would be duplicated.  However, I'm not suggesting just a night time pickup and drop-off.  I'm suggesting a trip of two or three days, equivalant of a move from the eastern part of the U.S. to the almond fields of California.   And, to be more realistic, a move made by a flat bed pulled by a diesel motorized
 tractor trailer combination.   I'm wondering what effect the exhaust fumes of the tractors might have on the migratory colonies.  And also, the effects of the exhaust fumes of coincident traffic might also have on the colonies.

Mike in LA

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

Guidelines for posting to BEE-L can be found at:
http://honeybeeworld.com/bee-l/guidelines.htm

ATOM RSS1 RSS2