From:
Doug Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 May 1996 12:46:20 -0700
At 10:18 AM 5/9/96 -0400, Dave Green, Eastern Pollinator Newsletter wrote:
>   My wife and I are enjoying (and packing) some of the eastern US varietal
>honeys, and are more and more interested in doing gift packs of these.  We
>also are thinking of doing honey tasting parties, like the wine folks do.
>
>   My question is:  Outside of eastern USA, I'm sure there are many fine
>honeys (and maybe some awful ones too), and I'd like to hear from some of the
>beekeepers on what they consider the finest and worst of their area.  Who
>knows, maybe we'd be interested in buying some of these?

When my uncle kept bees east of Fayetteville, NC, he would get a huckleberry
(similar to blueberries) honey which was a very mild berry flavored,  rich
blue to light purple in color.  City people driving through would buy the
honey, but only after he spent a lot of time convincing them that no, he did
not add food coloring to the honey.

When I had a hive in southern Va, I produced a water-clear, mild flavored
honey that I thought was Sourwood.  At least it matched the characteristics
of Sourwood honey sold along the Blue Ridge Parkway.  Since I was a rank
beginner at the time, maybe it was actually tupelo honey - as you know, it
is sometimes really hard to determine the source of the nectar being brought
in, especially when a lot of different plants are blooming at once.

Doug Russell