Date:
Sun, 12 Dec 2010 11:21:42 -0700
?>Bayer is the world's largest grower of hybrid seed canola.  Such
production requires Bayer to rent thousands of colonies from Canadian
beekeepers year after year, and those colonies need to survive the Canadian
winter.  During pollination, the sole source of pollen and nectar for those
bees is from treated canola.  How is that for a large-scale field trial?
I've spoken to quite a number of Canadian beeks who put bees on treated
canola, which I would consider to be the "acid test," since that is their
only food source.  They simply don't see the problem that others claim.

Well, I have to think about that.  These guys who pollinate are generally
pretty smart guys and not the sort to make wild statements, so they are not
going to make claims that they cannot prove and which also might impugn the
hand that feeds them.  They are well compensated. for any such effect, if it
even exists.  After all, there are so many obvious things impacting bees
that something that subtle is just one more thing.

here are many, though, who will not go on pollination, even after doing so
for a few years  -- simply because of what it does to the bees, whatever the
cause.

I think few Alberta or BC pollinating beekeepers will disagree that canola
pollination is hard on bees and some who can and live distant from the
pollination area use different hives every year and give the previous year's
hives a rest since they get run down.  The guys who live close by seem to be
able to keep on keeping on, but they are buying replacement bees every year,
for the most part.

Why is canola pollination hard on bees?  After all they do make honey on
pollination and collect pollen, albeit less than off pollination.  60 lbs.
is a number we often hear.  Is it because of crowding? Is it because of the
seed treatment,? Is it because of the shortage of other forage nearby;?  Is
it because of the potatoes grown nearby and which are sometime sprayed
without concern for bees?  Nobody knows and everyone is making money, anyone
who squawks gets consideration, so bee losses are not a big issue.

As for myself, the first year I took bees into canola pollination, they were
dynamite, and I was a paragon.  In each subsequent year I found it harder to
get the bees up to strength.  I can't say why.  I just don't know.   I'm not
ready to let systemic insecticides off the hook, but I'm not about to
participate in a lynching either.

One thing I always remember is that a very small influence over enough time,
especially compounded, can amount to something very big.  A friend of mine
was leaning on one of the big ropes holding the queen Mary at dock, talking
to a friend.  Over time  he noticed that the line started to go slack and,
looking up, he was surprised to realise that his weight was moving that huge
mass.