From:
JamesCBach <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
JamesCBach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Dec 1999 14:04:47 -0800
I use soapy water to kill bees in weak, mite infested colonies, or AFB
diseased hives.

I use either a five gallon bucket or a heavy plastic garbage bag containing
warm soapy water.  The bucket of soapy water is set in the apiary, the
garbage bag with soapy water is set on the ground with one side up against a
hive.  One side of the mouth of the sack is laid on the cover of the hive
and held in place with two bricks or rocks.  I use two or three gallons of
soapy water depending on  how many colonies (frames of bees) I will be
killing.  Take the hive apart at night or on a rainy day when the bees
aren't flying.  Shake each comb of bees into the water by grasping one end
of the frame.  Hold open the sack with one hand and shake the bees in.  The
process is faster if you have a buddy along to assist, especially if you
have several hives to shake.

Destroy combs containing AFB symptoms, scrape the other frames, boxes,
bottom and top boards thoroughly with a sharp hive tool.  Mark the hive in
some manner so that you know it has had AFB.  Shake a large swarm (or
several small ones) into the hive next spring and pour medicated syrup over
the bees at least twice two or three days apart, and put some in a feeder.

If the state inspector is the person who found the AFB problem you will be
required to follow the procedure specified by the inspector within the
specified time period.  It may be different than the method I have given
above.

James C. Bach