From:
Steve Noble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Jan 2008 12:57:40 -0500
Bill Truesdell: " I think we are making much of nothing."

     I agree, a much better case would need to be made for the conclusion
that lack of genetic diversity may have become a problem, especially when
you consider those factors which Bill pointed out.
     For purely academic reasons, though, I do wonder what the potential is
for diversity within a relatively small, closed mating system.  I mean even
if it came down to the last honey bee in the world, what would that mean in
terms of diversity assuming you could expand out from there and re-
establish honey bees in the world.  In other words how much of the total
honey bee genome is packaged within one queen?  When you breed you are
mostly making adjustments in the frequency of certain genes, not creating
new ones or eliminating others although obviously as the population gets
smaller and smaller some genes have an increased chance of dropping out
altogether.  But they would tend to be ones that you would not notice if
you were selecting for what you considered desirable characteristics.  They
may become important later though if some new challenge were to arise.
     Likewise the population that has become isolated for long enough to
have become a separate “race” may have no problems as long as it is able to
maintain its isolation and its environment doesn’t change significantly.
Otherwise the ability of a few bees to retain a significant representation
of the total A.m genome may be a thing to consider as we try to reinvent
the honey bee through breeding schemes like the one that was so poorly
reported in the article that began this thread.  The author of that article
didn’t seem to have the foggiest idea of what he was writing about.  Beyond
that it didn’t seem like anything that isn’t already being done by high
tech breeders all over the place; Purvis, Cobey, Taber, etc.  Still the
article mentioned 50 queens.  How much diversity would be represented by
such a number?  How much adaptive flexibility would that population have
starting out with only that many queens?   I realize these are not easy
questions to answer, but could they be more important than we realize?

Steve Noble