From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 6 Feb 2003 20:14:24 -0500
In Virginia, you can put a homemade "license plate" on your
truck saying "Farm Use Only", and avoid the entire saftey
inspection and registration process, not to mention the fees.
I have no idea what this might do to one's insurance coverage.

But there may soon no longer be any reason for any US beekeeper
to drive a beaten up old truck.  The Bush "tax cut", if passed will
allow any "small business owner" to buy any vehicle heavier than
6,000 lbs, and write off up to $75,000.  (Currently, the limit is
$25,000)  The only sticky point is that one must be making
enough money to have a tax liability in excess of the write-off.

Here's the details:
http://ens-news.com/ens/jan2003/2003-01-21-09.asp

If one is considering "free" trucks under $75,000 and over
6,000 lbs, I would strongly suggest the new Hummer H2 over
all others.  I drove one recently along a national forest fire road
that had not been cleared in ages, and it has just as much punch
as the much noisier and much less-comfortable Hummer H1 model.
It also imposed no emotional obligation on the driver to be wearing
BDUs or to have a sidearm strapped to one's thigh.
http://www.hummer.com/hummerjsp/h2/index.jsp

But don't expect me to be buying an SUV, tax cut or no.
You will pry the keys to my Volvo wagons (over 270,000 miles
on each with nothing more than oil changes) from my cold dead
fingers.

                jim