From:
P-O Gustafsson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 1999 22:19:09 +0200
T'N'T Apiaries wrote:

>  Different strains and lines react
> differently and carry different traits.  In this area, we've all had stock
> like he discribed, but if we'd kept running it, we'd have half the hives and
> need twice the crew.

Now this is very much my experience too. Nature breeds for survival,
which means defensive behaviour and swarming. If we leave it to them
we will get just that, mean and swarmy bees.

> It's surprising how many colonies haven't been "requeened" by us for five -
> six years.

This is due to the drones that will have the desired genetics in the area. When
there is a stable line of drones around, several generations of superseedure
will be possible without loosing the traits. I see the same in my bees.

> After discussing this post with other "serious beekeepers" in our area, we
> agreed "stock selection" is our number one tool for swarm control.

I would say it's the only tool for me..... There is not time enough to visit
the hives regularly every 10 days through the swarm season. If I look at
it straight economically I will save more time raising my queens and
requeen the hives on a regular basis, compared to leave it to the bees.
And it's not just the swarming that's the benefit, even if it's the biggest.
I get to work with bees that often can be handled without a veil, and I
never need to wear any warm gloves. When I work with a hive, it's
easier and faster when the bees are gentle and calm. Moving hives when
bees are crawling all over isn't all that fun.... The hives are also more
even in development, making it simpler when adding supers etc.

Yes there is the option to split a lot of the hives early to prevent swarming.
But you will need a lot of extra material, and will have to put in labour.
And the combined result of the splits is often not as good as if the hive
was kept together. (This might not be true in climates where the splits
will have time to build up to strong hives before the flow.)

But it's not just to buy any odd queens and think it's going to work!
As David said; "Different strains and lines react differently and carry
different traits." You have to find yourself a queen breeder that has the
bees you want, adapted to your climate. And who is producing queens that
are EVEN. Or you can raise them yourself if you got the genetic material
and enough hives to select from.

I have 2-3% swarming now. I don't need to bother about it, and can
keep large productive colonies. Now and then there is a hive that is
faster to build up than the rest and get so crowded they start making cells.
If I give them more room, one or two more supers, they tear down the
cells themselves and go back to work again.

--
Regards

P-O Gustafsson, Sweden
[log in to unmask]  http://www.algonet.se/~beeman/