From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 12:15:44 -0700
Has anyone on the list had experience with using electron beam radiation (or
any other type) for sterilization of bee equipment?

A neighbour here in Alberta has been pioneering the use of radiation, with
the help of the research people at Beaverlodge, and he has had good success
the first time around.  He reports no disease and beautiful brood patterns
in the irradiated combs, combs which were in some cases riddled with scale
from (resistant) AFB.

However, one anecdotal report I heard (that may actually refer to using
radioactive substances rather than electron beam) mentioned that "...after 3
or 4 trips the wood became so punky he could push his finger through it and
nails kept falling out".  If this is the case, we are wondering how many
times the equipment can go thru the electron beam and still be useable.

I have heard that radiation is routinely used in Aus.  If so, can anyone say
what kind, what doses, and what effects are seen?

TIA

allen
http://www.internode.net/HoneyBee/Diary/