From:
Dick Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Nov 2007 23:21:08 -0400
Making bee candy really soft, I think, is another of those things that beekeepers do to make
themselves feel all warm and fuzzy over helping their bees.  When I’ve made candy it’s been the,
previously mentioned, 1 pound of water mixed with 5 pounds of sugar, and then heated to 234º F,
also referred to by many as the 1-234-5 procedure. Generally, it’s cooled a bit, then stirred with
an electric mixer for a moment or two before pouring it into molds. Usually, it sets up like a heavy
fudge. Not fondant, for sure, but also not rock hard either. The bees like it just fine. Besides, it’s
fed in winter, and what else are they going to do in the hive to amuse themselves if they don’t
have something to munch away on.  They don’t go skiing like I do. Candy softness is just not that
important as I’ve seen.  It seems to be another of those things to ponder over simlar to wondering
whether mixing 1:1 and 2:1 syrup should done by weight or volume.

Regards,
Dick Allen