Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Dec 2010 12:54:45 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (1 lines)
Wanted to research this before posting but dont have time so I will toss it out here.  All that has been said about protein sources in general is true, but the issue here is the assumption of the adjective "complete" - quinoa has become popular in human diets  because it is a "complete" protein - to humans. In this context, a "complete" protein  means it supplies all of the "essential" amino acids. "Essential" means more than just the ones a particular organism needs, it means the ones they need but can't make for themselves by their own anabolic processes. So, what may be "complete" for a human may not be "complete" for a bee. The way to determine this is to look at the a.a. profile of quinoa or any other potential ingredient and compare this to the a.a. that a bee must obtain from its food, that is, those it cant make for itself. I cant say for sure that someone already knows this, but I can say with the utmost certaintly that I do not know (!). I beleive this line of inquiry was considered in the development of FeedBee, for example, and hopefully others. 

Greg Hawkins

Everton, ON

Sent on the TELUS Mobility network with BlackBerry

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned

LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:

http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

Guidelines for posting to BEE-L can be found at:

http://honeybeeworld.com/bee-l/guidelines.htm

ATOM RSS1 RSS2