Date:
Thu, 6 Aug 1992 11:41:00 +1200
The German wasp populations in NZ are, as stated, quite a problem to
many people apart from beekeepers.
Getting rid of most nests is not so difficult, given that you have first
*found* it ('First, catch your rabbit...')  For nests up to about 1 metre
diameter, generally subeterranian, but also aerial, I have use d Carbyryl
(Sevin) in powder form.  I've never missed with nests of this size with
about 1T placed (often flung in haste...) *near an/the entrance(s)* so that
returning foragers track it into the next (oops nest).  I've used other
chemicals - DDT and even Derris dust (rotenone) with invariable success.
I'd *love* to have a go at bigger nests!!
Nick Wallingford
Bay of Plenty Polytechnic, Tauranga New Zealand
Voice     64 7 544 0920 ext 6848    Home  64 7 578 1422
Fax       64 7 544 2386
AX25      ZL1BSN @ ZL1UX.NZL.OC
TCP/IP    44.147.112.16
Internet  [log in to unmask]