Date:
Thu, 20 Jun 2002 11:30:35 +0200
Hi All

To reply to Bob Harrison's questions:

> I did not know about the problem in Germany. How was the problem
> solved? Was the problem related to queens brought back from South
> Africa on the trip several German beekeepers took with Brother
Adam?

There were minor capensis-takeover problems in isolated research
apiaries (completely unrelated to Brother Adam). The problem was
solved by winter eliminating the cape workers.

> To add to what Mike wrote in my opinion our U.S. European
commercial> bees would not be able to handle capensis either . My
opinion is also

US commercial bees would most certainly not be able to handle
capensis, and it would be likely to cause great devastation if released.

> Was African queens shipped to Arizona from Baton Rouge in the
1960's?

I have no idea.

> Who is doing  the tests and will the results be made public?

Plans are still in their infancy, but it should be basically a collaboration
between myself and Dr Hoffman of USDA-Tucson. I have no doubt that
all results will be made public.

regards

Mike Allsopp