From:
Kim Flottum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 2005 19:12:44 -0500
I have to agree with Allen on this. Premite days, losses were in the 20%
range on average (Roger Hoopingarner and I have good data on this), and
after tracheal mites became established, then varroa, the average went
to 30% (again, I have pretty good data on this). These averages are for,
primarily, non-migratory commercial and sideline outfits...those that
are, generally, schooled in bee management. Migratory keepers have higer
losses due to queen loss and extreme stresses. My figures go to the 40%
or so average for these, but this may be low. That 50% average isn't out
of the question, certainly.

The losses reported this spring must be considered with those losses in
tow, you know. However, I have some data from this year also, from a
survey of about 100 or so beekeepers - ranging from hobby to huge
commercial spread out across the U.S. And, I've checked with bee brokers
in CA, and commercial people in FL and TX...and, when added, the losses
are much closer to the typical 30 - 40% than higher. 'Some, of course
have experienced the full losses reported, but then some do every year.
Still, 35% of the million+ hives in CA is around 350,000 colonies of
bees not there anymore. But, this is what happened last year if you
recall (but there were other mitigating factors then...see below), and
the previous year in my surveys...so, super varroa, maybe not.

I mourn the loss of even one hive that is supporting the livlihood of
any beekeeper, anywhere. However, one factor must be considered that
hasn't been added to the mix in this...all the news stories, all the
hyperbole from beekeepers, almond growers and bee magazine
editors...there are fewer beekeepers running fewer bees this year than
last....or there probably are. This due to the flagging economics of
keeping bees as a business. (the USDA report comes out Monday, which may
shed some light on this). And varroa certainly has made major
contributions to this loss. As have the other stresses. Virus, sure,
it's there. rAFB, sure, that too. Poisoned hives, yup, they too added to
the mix of reasons there are (probably) fewer bees and beekeepers.  But
so has pesticide loss, inexpensive imported honey, increasing costs of
fuel, insurance, labor, equipment and everything else. Super varroa,
maybe. Less than adequate beekeeping, yup, but...super bad business
environment, definitely. Just like Allen said.

Kim Flottum
Editor, BeeCulture
623 West Liberty Street
Medina, Ohio  44256