From:
Ted Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Oct 1996 09:29:35 -0400
  REGARDING           RE>Fumadil B and baggie feeder

Dan Veilleux wrote:
>I want to treat for Nosema this fall but wonder if the baggie feeder is the
right way to go.
 It seems to me that when one feeds from a boardman feeder the bees have to
gather the medicated syrup and move it through the colony over a period of
time ... From reports  in this list,  it seems that a gallon of syrup can be
moved in a matter of days-- probably right directly below the baggies with a
minimum of bee contact --this seems great if one wants to store the syrup
but will it control the parasite ?<

Dan brings up an interesting point.  I think that the idea of baggie feeders
is so new that there probably isn't much information on this.  For several
years I've had considerable nosema (or nosema-like symptoms probably spread by
varroa) and little usage of fall syrup.  My bees didn't seem to take it very
well when their brood combs were well filled with honey.  With the baggies
this fall they engorged themselves like pigs at a trough, an expression heard
on BEE-L that seems pretty apt.

So, what I'm saying is that when spring rolls around I'll have a good
comparison with experiences from prior years.  Have to wait till then.

Ted Fischer
Dexter, Michigan, USA