From:
Tom Elliott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Nov 1998 11:17:47 -0900
Andy Nachbaur wrote:

> I am somewhat disappointed in the fact that no solution has been found for
> this aggressive behavior as I know there is one and believe it will turn
> out to be simple and have nothing to do with DNA or the WWII science of
> morphometrics. I suspect to much effort is being made in identifying
> problems and looking for new ones and I am sure more will be found.

Andy, etal

It has seemed to me since the "Killer Bee" scare began that lineage is not as
important as behavior.  We have all seen or heard of folks routinely working
AHB without any protection.  Now here in Alaska I do not ever anticipate having
a problem with AHB.  We have enough trouble keeping temperate climate bees
alive through the winter.  But, several things could be done to ameliorate the
AHB probllem.  One I have advocated on this list before is simply selecting AHB
for gentleness.  If your bees are gentle and productive, do you care if they
are africanized.

I am sure a little thought would produce many solutions, and I agree
wholeheartedly that what you folks need are solutions not more problems.
--
"Test everything.  Hold on to the good."  (1 Thessalonians 5:21)

Tom Elliott
Chugiak,  Alaska
U.S.A.