From:
queenbee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 May 2006 07:36:35 +1000
> health certificates are required to state that SHB does not occur in the
> exporting country.

Saw the article referred to.  It is sketchy on details of who it was or
where in Australia the bees came from.  As I understand it the EU does not
require country freedom.  The EU certification requires that queens:-

"(d) come from an area of at least 100 km radius which is
not the subject of any restrictions associated with the
occurrence of the small hive beetle (Aethina tumida) or
Tropilaelaps spp. and where these infestations are
 absent;

(e) are from hives or come from hives or colonies (in the
 case of bumble bees), which were inspected immediately
 prior to dispatch and show no clinical signs or suspicion
 of disease including infestations affecting bees;

 (f) have undergone detailed examination to ensure that all
  bees and packaging do not contain the small hive beetle
  (Aethina tumida) or its eggs and larvae, or other
  infestations, in particular Tropilaelaps spp.,
  affecting bees."

There are places in Australia that can get this certification.  If they were
packages, then I would be surprised because as I read it only "breeder
queens" can go to the EU.  Roger, if you have more details let me know and I
will take it up with the authorities in Australia.

Trevor Weatherhead
AUSTRALIA
Coming to Apimondia in Australia in 2007?