From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 11 Dec 1999 20:39:07 -0500
On 9 Dec 99, at 19:48, [log in to unmask] wrote:

> A possible alternative diagnosis is that he is treating his bees for
> diseases that he does not know that they are suffering from and hang the
> expense. This does not seem likely as most beekeepers tend to be
> parsimonious.
>
> He does not mention the most effective treatment for Nosema (if he knows
> that is present and a problem): comb fumigation or renewal.  If Apistan is
> as effective as advertised (98 per cent) it should not be necessary to
> treat twice a year.  To do so can only accelerate the onset of resistance.

As an expatriate Brit I can see both sides of the coin. It is
considered cheaper to medicate for not existent disease than to take
the time and trouble to sample hives and send these samples to a
local lab for testing. Even if they know where to send them! We are
constantly discussing this with our customers, and the ignorance
regarding the need for medication frightens us. "Let's dump it in,
just in case" is a very common approach of many beekeepers.
        I know a lot depends on your area, but we feed NO chemicals to our
bees,(apart from Apistan) and haven't for the last 10 years, since we
saw the light on chemical dependency. To date we haven't lost a hive
to any of the standard bee diseases, touch wood.

The Bee Works, 9 Progress Drive, Unit 2,
Orillia, Ontario, Canada.L3V 6H1.
Phone (705)326 7171 Fax (705)325 3461
David Eyre,
e-mail<[log in to unmask]>