Date:
Sun, 5 Sep 2010 08:45:36 -0400
>> >In my search for dates I cam up with this gem.    I am too busy to read
>> >it properly, but it looks good.  Enjoy.

> It is conceivable that a similar phenomenon may arise in
> American-foulbrood-infected larvae receiving sulfa drugs since it has been
> mentioned earlier that strains of B. larvae could adapt themselves to a
> tenfold increase in the amount of the drug. However, this possibility may
> not be serious owing to the short period of contact of the vegetative
> cells in the larvae with the drug and to the rapidity with which the
> adapted organisms may lose their "resistance" on further growth in the
> absence of the drug."

I noticed that passage in skimming the article and that is why I posted the
link for discussion.

I have never heard of sulfa resistance becoming an issue in the way that OTC
resistance did.  Does anyone recall reports of such a thing?  I inspected
bees during that period and never heard of it emerging in practice.  Perhaps
it was because OTC was also in use at the time also?

I might add that OTC was typically used as a routine treatment in hives in
that period, although not necessarily applied at the same time as sulfa.
OTC was the recommended control in Alberta, but sulfa was in widespread use
and sold by bee supply dealers, sometimes in drums of premixed sugar syrup
from the East.

OTC was typically dusted in spring for EFB and AFB although we often fed it
in syrup as well.  We were aware of the short lifespan of OTC in syrup, but
for whatever reason, it was effective.  Maybe the metabolites of breakdown
in syrup were also active against AFB?  Dunno,  Sulfa was only used in
syrup.

> This is my point exactly about the misuse of OTC patties by constant
> application.  This did not allow selective pressure against against any
> resistant mutants, when they needed to compete against "wild types."

Please get over repeating that one moot point which nobody contests (because
nobody knows or really cares) and discuss the fact that we did not see OTC
resistance until sulfa was no longer used and that OTC resistance is no
longer an issue now that we have Tylan available?  (Consider why Tylan was
made available...)

Sulfa was used in "constant application", yet AFAIK, resistance to sulfa was
never a problem.  I am not sure when OTC began to be used.  That was before
my time, but if sulfa resistance was likely, then I am thinking that the use
of OTC prevented sulfa resistance and sulfa prevented OTC résistance, just
as the use of Tylosin has apparently made OTC resistance an non-issue.

I have been trying to find out exactly when sulfa was "banned" and it seems
to me that it was not banned so much as that buyers and authorities began to
lower the MRLs.  Detection methods got far more sensitive and after
truckloads of honey were destroyed or pronounced unsaleable due to sulfa
content, beekeepers simply stopped using it.  As time passed, authorities
became more specific in stating which antibiotics were permitted and which
were prohibited and enforcement increased,  moving from a very permissive
environment to what we see today.

> "To many beekeepers, the announcement of the preventive properties, often
> perverted to "curative properties," of sulfa drugs for American foulbrood
> was the answer to the problem. Before long, however, with the repeated
> observation of disease recurrence after sulfa drug treatment, it was
> realized that considerable caution was required in the use of these drugs,
> that they did not cure an infected colony since they did not kill the
> spores of B. larvae, that indiscriminat and careless use and undue
> reliance on their effectiveness might result in masking the disease and in
> disseminating it widely, and that their application at the wrong,  part of
> the season was not only ineffective but also resulted often in the
> contamination of market honey with small but detectable traces of the
> drugs."

This is pretty much what we have been discussing here.  Back in the 70's
meeting presentations were titled "Living with AFB" and people said that
controlling AFB with drugs was like having a tiger by the tail.  Nobody
thought sulfa was a cure.

> This sounds a little different than the nostalgic waxing recently posted
> about the use of sulfa.

If anyone considers a look at history as "nostalgic waxing", what that
person is reading is not what I am writing.   Nobody wants sulfa back in
use.  We are looking at the history of AFB resistance and the circumstances
under which it became a problem -- and when it ceased to be a problem -- and
speculating as to why.  As Santayana pointed out, a look at history can be
instructive.

These days, conventional understanding is being turned on its head so we
need to examine our cherished notions and "common knowledge" and move beyond
simplistic notions.

I'd appreciate any new ideas anyone can bring to this issue.  I think we
have beaten the old ones to death.