From:
Bob & Liz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 May 2001 07:54:44 -0500
Hello Mike & All,
Mike wrote:
 Hats  and tee-shirts won't help is one bit, creating a market for U.S.
honey will.
Mike makes valid points. I will add a few others for those interested.
U.S. honey producers do not produce enough honey to meet U.S. demand nor
have they for years and years. A market exists for bulk honey. Those that
control the bulk honey market set the price they pay for honey. If you look
at the old American Bee Journals back a 100 years the price of bulk honey
has been the number one complaint. In my opinion beekeepers will be
complaining about the price of honey all through this century. In my opinion
the NHB will not and can not change the situation. All groups need a
organization to represent them. We need to fix the NHB to help with the
problem. In my opinion the reality of bulk honey prices is here to stay.
On the bright side retail prices have almost doubled according to ABJ over
the last 15-20 years. The higher shelf price of honey over the last 15-20
years is a major help for those which market their honey directly to stores
and consumers.
Selling honey to large packers is like trying to trade in your old car at
the car dealer.  The dealer will tell you after you calm down. "You can sell
to me or sell it yourself".
Again I do not disagree with the points Mike made. I only make the comment
that the NHB alone will never change the way packers do business.
Sincerely,
Bob Harrison