From:
Andy Nachbaur <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Jan 1997 15:16:00 GMT
DFS>        When I mentioned the grease patty idea to my wife, she wasn't
   >suprised by it. As a kid, she raised rabbits and they used to smear
   >Vaseiline in the rabbits ears to kill the mites. One wonders why FGMO
   >works over the Crisco patties other than the FGMO might be smaller in size
   >thana huge glob of vegetable oil and better suited to get into the mites?

I also reared rabbits commercially when I was a young man and I
purchased rabbits for slaughter from my neighbors for 50 miles around.

I got to see real bad cases of ear mites in rabbits. At the time there
were vet preparations that you could buy at considerable costs to
control the mites. They worked according to the directions and
promotions that came with the small bottle of magic potion.

But then came along some smart "beekeeper" like rabbit raiser and he
choose to ignore the best vet advice and would not spend another
nickel on his rabbits that were eating him out of house and home anyway.
He told everyone how he used old motor oil to kill the mites the same as
he used on his chickens who also got leg mites.

I had used old motor oil to control the mites on chicken legs with no
problems, but chose to use 3in1 Oil for my rabbits. Both worked and soon
mite problems became the exception and not the rule for my rabbits.

                               ttul Andy-

(c) Permission is granted to freely copy this document
in any form, or to print for any use.

(w)Opinions are not necessarily facts. Use at own risk.

---
 ~ QMPro 1.53 ~ All bees are looking for bargains in nature's supermarket