From:
Layne Westover <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Oct 2002 13:31:51 -0500
Regarding the so-called "Housel Positioning" I wonder how many data points were in the sample(s).
In the wild colonies hanging from the branches of trees in Florida, were ALL of them found to be as
described in the article, or what percentage of them were that way?  Was there variability?  Did
every one of them have that special "center comb" or only some of them?  Does this only apply to
colonies hanging from branches in the open and not to colonies in a box or hollow?

An interesting thought would be that of manufacturing a foundation that has the pattern of the
center comb, and then aligning the other frames in the hive according to the correct orientation using
regular foundation.  I wonder if the bees would start building their comb on the middle one, or if they
would start haphazardly anywhere, or on one side of the hive, as they usually do in my hives when I
hive a swarm?  Sometimes the first comb to be built is at one end of the hive.  These are some of the
questions that came to my mind today while I pondered the subject.  Any answers?

Layne Westover, College Station, Texas