From:
Chris Slade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Dec 2010 06:34:06 -0500
forget the jig, just let the bees draw their own comb from a 1"
trip attached to the top bar?

It works for me. It's years since I bought a pack of foundation and my comb is renewed whenever seems sensible.  Often, I cut the old, bred-in, centre from old combs (where there is no suspicion of foul brood!) leaving just a footprint around the perimeter.  The bees very quickly replace the comb and the brood pattern has to be seen to be believed!

The only time I use a full sheet of foundation is when doing a 'Bailey' comb change when a single full sheet in the upper box acts as a bridge for queen and workers to ascend.

Remember that wax-drawing bees form a living plumb line and thus the hive must be level to keep them on course.

Chris