From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Dec 2010 12:49:00 -0800

> >Randy when these studies keep turning up displaying problems with the
> neonics I have trouble ignoring just because you say *in your opinion* we
> should not be concerned.

Bob, I have never said that I am not concerned.  On the contrary, several
aspects of the neonics concern me, as I have stated repeatedly.

What I am saying is that to the best of my knowledge, neither CCD nor damage
to colonies due to normal field exposure to neonic seed-treated crops has
*yet* been demonstrated by any researcher anywhere in the world.  Lacking
such evidence, it is difficult to make a strong case against the products!

I find the lab experiments to be of great interest, but as a beekeeper, I am
more interested in what actually happens in the "real world"--i.e., in the
field.

I am currently floating a proposal for funding of a long-term late-season
trial of clothianidin under field conditions, in which I, as the
investigator, would be totally blinded.  I've already run a preliminary
trial of proof of concept to make sure that it would reflect reality.

Bob, here is a little gem of information for you:  there are virtually no
incident reports of pesticide problems ever filed by beekeepers, which means
that from a legal standpoint, the problem doesn't exist.  I have implored,
on this list, in print, and in my presentations, for beekeepers to submit
incident reports.

In the National Pesticide Information Center's Ecological Pesticide Incident
Report summary to date THERE IS ONLY ONE SINGLE INCIDENT REPORT THAT NAMES
CLOTHIANIDIN as a possible contributor.

And guess who filed that report?  Yours truly!

Some of us just blow hot air.  Some of us actually do our homework, file
actual reports, and collect actual data.

Randy Oliver--sick of this