From:
Mark Hale <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Mar 2000 17:22:05 +0200
Hi All
We are new to the verroa story here in South Africa, but we are finding a
few intresting things out.
Well lets say it has not been scientifically proved yet. Hives with verroa
seem to be unaffected by it IF it has got Chelifers or Bee Scorpoins
(Ellingsenius fulleri), a pseudoscorpion. They are harmless to the bees but
prey on mites. I have seen these Bee Scorpoins attacking the Braula mite. So
I am hoping and checking to see what is going to happen. I have left a few
hives untreated but there is a good population of Bee Scorpions.
One of the other things is that the infestation of the lesser Hive Bettle is
less if the Bee Scorpion is present.
Aparantly the only other place where the Bee Scorpion is found is in Asia,
where Verroa originated from.
I submitted this article to Bee-L but it was rejected.
If you have any info or know where to find more on the Bee Scorpion could
you please foward it to me.
Regards
Mark
From not so dark Africa.