From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Feb 2004 10:40:31 -0500
Keith asked a lot of questions concerning fall requeening with cells.  I
suggest that Keith and others contact direct the person who has developed
this technique.

Dave Miksa, a VERY respected queen breeder and producer in Florida.
352-429-3447.  Email [log in to unmask]  I will provide what I recall from the
presentation he gave to the Empire State Beekeepers in November, 2003:

1.  They sell well over 100,000 queen cells a year, so are very experienced
at what works and what does not.
2.  The entire operation is run only by family...with everyone involved from
spouses to children to (?) grandchildren.
3.  Cells are shipped next day UPS timed to emerge 2 days from shipping.
Nevertheless, each cell has a protector in case a queen emerges early or the
shipment is delayed.  (Queens in cells are very subject to damage up until 3
days before emerging.  From that date, the cells and queens can be handled
and even inversed with little or no damage.)
4.  Cells are packed in a type of foam, which also provides some level of
insulation.  At a small additional charge, a thermostat-controlled heat
device can be added, but he sounded as if that was not really necessary.

I have not tried this myself, as I didn't know anyone was doing it until I
heard his presentation.  If I can get a small quantity (perhaps 25) I will
try it this coming August.  My main concerns are:

1.  Whether the local drone population is sufficient in numbers and with
viable sperm.
2.  Whether the stock has sufficient Carniolan attributes for this cold
northern area.

A number of Dave's principal customers are commercial beekeepers who need
large numbers of bees in early spring for pollination.  They tend to
overwinter in the south, do pollination on the way north, and try to produce
heavy honey crops before going south to re-start the cycle.  The ability to
overwinter with small amounts of brood and using small amounts of feed is
not of prime importance to those overwintering in the south.  I recall he
said he keeps his line with something like 30% Carniolan.

Like Keith, I would be interested in hearing from any who have purchased
cells from Dave.  Lacking that, I strongly suggest calling or sending email.

Lloyd
Lloyd Spear, Owner Ross Rounds, Inc.
Manufacturers of Ross Rounds Comb
Honey Equipment, Sundance Pollen Traps