From:
Geoff Manning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Aug 2008 23:51:06 +1000
----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter L Borst"

> Right, and nobody has provided any facts to show that corn pollen might be
> the slightest bit harmful to bees. I wonder why they would collect it at a
> time when there are dozens of floral sources available -- if it wasn't any
> good?

It is not so much that it is harmful, rather only 14% protein.  Not much of
a problem if the hive is also collecting other superior pollen at the same
time.  A problem is that not all colonies collect the same pollens, some
will concentrate on only one source, others will collect a nice mixture.

Unlike nectar bees don't seem able to differentiate between the qualities of
pollen.  Some are however more attractive, possibly the oil content.

Corn on its own becomes harmful if the bees raised on it are then asked to
work hard before they are replaced by better fed bees.  Short lived and
likely to have high nosema loads.

Geoff Manning