From:
Cusick Farms <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Dec 2013 10:25:04 -0500
<I think you made a mistake when you wrote that.  The free market has
demonstrated again and again that the end result is environmental
protection and a large middle class with little disparity.  (Short term
discrepancies, yes.  Long term end results, no.)

Regulated market systems have demonstrated again and again that the end
result is environmental destruction and a huge class disparity.  (We need
only to look at the trends in America to see the effects of more
regulations.)>

Let's see one example of an unregulated free market that has worked as you
say.  Before regulations in the US we had massively polluted rivers and air
quality approaching current day China in the cities.

<As for child labor, I mowed lawns and helped on farms when I was a
teenager, and I was darn glad to be able to earn money.  There is nothing
wrong with child labor, and I think more kids needs to learn to put down
the electronic games and go learn the value of a good work ethic and honest
labor.  Laws against child labor actually hurt the economy, but no one
wants to talk about the facts, because child labor is an emotional issue.>

Please do not confuse an after school/summer job with actual child labor,
it trivializes the situation.  Children belong in school, which is the best
insurance for upward mobility.  When people talk about child labor they are
not referring to a paper route or even most farm jobs, those are not
illegal (though they are regulated).  It's the kids that work 40-60 hours a
week instead of going to school which pretty much guarantees a life of hard
labor and little chance for advancement whether or not they learn a good
"work ethic".

Jeremy
West Michigan