From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Oct 2002 17:51:19 -0400
Peter Borst wrote:
> Moderators
>
> I am getting MANY virus infected files lately and most of them have the
> names of BEE LIST members on them. Please alert the list that it is their
> responsibility to keep their computers clean, and not infect everybody else.

Most of the viruses circulating now do not come from the "sender" but
from someone who has the "sender's" address in their address book or in
any messages held on the computer. So they could be coming from someone
long removed from the list but who still has messages filed on their
computer.

Klez is the most likely culprit. There are a load of them circulating
right now.

Klez and some of the other trojans can infect your computer without
opening an attachment IF you have older versions of MSIE (I think the
cut off is about version 5.5). If your virus definitions are up to date,
even they will be caught.

There is one thing none of the viruses can spoof and that is the last
"received from" in the extended list of headers where the ISP of the
actual sender is located. There may be an email address by the ISP but
it is almost always spoofed.

If you know how to read headers and can uses whois to locate it, you
could notify them and send the complete header and they might (but
probably won't) notify the infected user. I have had spotty luck in
getting any response from ISPs so I just delete the messages and am done
with it.

The key here is do not blame the email sender for sending you a virus,
because they are most likely innocent.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine