From:
K&W Jarrett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Nov 2006 15:31:38 -0800
Hello Bob,

Bob wrote,
> The first self fertile almonds are getting a patent this fall as we speak.

They have been trying this for a long time, UC Davis comes to mine, So far
the yields have been poor with these trees.

> In ten years if I am still around I predict I will be writing of the woes
> of the California beekeeper in ABJ & BC. HUGE outfits are relocating into
> California now to chase almond pollination. California beekeepers are
> shipping their bees out of the huge state of California in summer to find
> nectar sources.

 Bob, I dont know where we will all end up as this plays out.I do think
thier are some thoughs worth noting.Almonds are being consumed like never
before and by countries with a growing middle class with a disposable
income.With all the negitive talk about out-sourcing  U.S. jobs, that work
force is now new buyers of almonds in those cuntries.

> Gold rushes have been short lived in history. Followed by ghost towns (and
> maybe ghost industries)

Well, only time will tell if this is anther gold bust. Most said ,we could
never sell a billion pound crop of nuts. Well, it's sold out.
Most here that write about almonds get their info by here-say, I think
history will be the best, to state the record.

P.S.   all ready many semi-loads of bees look awful here in Calif, I still
don't get it, these out-of-staters I thought last year would have gotten the
message about running poor bees. Good luck to all who come.

Keith Jarrett