From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Dec 2010 07:37:28 -0800
This item was forwarded to me from another list in reference to Tenneke's
new book:

>Nevertheless, given the concentrations of neonicotinoids found
in surface waters in the Netherlands, it would seem wise to
determine how common at what concentrations these compounds
(especially imidicloprid and clothianidin) are found in US surface
waters and whether the presence of these compounds is
associated with declines in invertebrates.

I wholly agree on this point.  High concentrations of neonics can occur when
there is flooding of a field, resulting in accumulation in puddles, when
planting equipment is washed out, or when a crop is replanted a second time
in a season (essentially doubling the rate of application of the pesticide).
 A similar phenomenon may occur during chemigation during warm weather.
Some of these occurrences are currently being quantified, but more should be
done, so that we have a better understanding of the degree to which this
happens in practice.

Randy Oliver