From:
tomas mozer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 May 2000 17:28:13 -0400
somewhat (not much) better bee pr from:
http://www.phillynews.com:80/daily_news/2000/May/15/local/BEES15.htm

Bees swarm South Philly street

by Regina Medina
Daily News Staff Writer

The Queen Bee of Mercy Street celebrated Mother's Day in dramatic style
yesterday.

Her Highness led a honey bee swarm, described by one witness as "a big
cloud," down the South Philadelphia street, leaving many residents
bee-wildered and trapped in their rowhouses.

"It looked like a big cloud in the middle of the street," said Pete
Torriero, 23. "It was weird. Never seen anything like that before. Except on
TV."

By day's end, some 20,000 to 30,000 bees lay dead on Mercy Street near 11th
- the victims of insect spray and hastily thrown water.

An additional 10,000 to 12,000 bees were retrieved from a hive in the
block's only tree by professional bee remover Tony Buzas, using a vacuum
system.

Buzas, owner of Anthony M. Buzas Apiculturist, said the South Philly bees
will be released at an orchard in Northampton Township, Bucks County. And
that transfer is just fine for street residents. In the early evening, some
residents were seen sweeping up the remaining dead bees from the narrow
street and the sidewalks. Others sat on stoops, discussing the day's bizarre
events.

The incident began about 10 a.m. when some neighbors noticed the swarm
traveling east on Mercy.

"My girlfriend [Lisa Costantino] called me up and said 'look out the
window,'" said Chris Monzo, who later noticed the bees were attracted to the
northern side of Mercy where there was sunlight. "I see this funnel cloud of
bees spinning down the street. It stopped for a few minutes and then
continued."

Unfortunately for Carmela Marino, the bees stopped in front of her house.

"It was terrible, I was petrified," said Marino.

Florence Frontino, who lives directly across the street from Marino, said,
"You would think it was actually snow. It looked like pollen falling off of
trees."

Marino made what she now refers to as "a boo-boo." She threw water at the
bees, while others along the street sprayed them with insect spray.

Buzas stressed to neighbors that the bees should be left alone when in a
swarm. If not, they become disoriented and disperse.

"Once the pesticide had been applied to the bees, they were flying around
disjointed," he said.

©2000 Philadelphia Newspapers Inc.