From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Feb 2007 15:52:00 -0500
Adrian Wenner wrote:

> “… scientific theories, by their very nature, cannot be negotiated or
> politically imposed.” Pat Duffy Hutcheon — 1997
>
> "Having one view prevail is harmful; it becomes a belief system, not
> science."  Kavan Khachaturian —2006
I wish the first were true in view of the second. Unfortunately theories
are just that but politicians can and do take the leap from theory to
"proved" science. The idea that one race is superior to another was
"proved science" as far back as the late 1800s and believed by most
including a President of the US and a German house painter.

I would hope this list ascribes to the second quote and is always open
to scientific dissent. But there's the rub. If the dissent was backed by
science the discussion would be informed. Go back in the archives and
read some of the discussions between Adrian and others on dance
language. I learned a great deal from them.

The problem is, most of the rest of us do not really run actual
experiments but operate with no control of variables, no control group,
and no idea just what we have proved at the end other than "it works."
The leaps we make from that point are astounding. And fun to discuss.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine