From:
"D. Murrell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Dec 2005 10:50:13 -0500
Hi Guys,

Those bees do work at night.

An fairly recent article in one of the US bee mags established this fact.
One of our bee researchers was doing some work with feral honey bees while
camping on a high, dry plain in South America. They found honey bees. But
couldn't figure out what they were working. While relieving himself in the
night, after a few beers, he heard a buzzing sound. And found that the dry
stems seen during the day, were blooming at night. These plants were the
major food source for the feral bees, which actively worked at night and
rested during the day.

I've had a hive or two on my patio that continued to work at night. But at a
greatly reduced rate compared to their daytime activities. I haven't
observed this in any field yard. There just aren't many night brooming
plants in my local.

Regards
Dennis