From:
Joel Govostes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Oct 1996 13:03:12 -0500
snip/..., can
>the bees transport Apistan on their bodies to the honey supers?  Also
>might the bees move potentially "contaminated" honey from the bottom
>deeps to the honey supers, eg to make more room for brood or pollen?
>Finally, what are the health dangers of Apistan--they are not
>described on the packaging.
>
>     -Allen G. Meek
>

>Allen G. Meek
>Department of Radiation Oncology
>University Hospital
>SUNY Stony Brook
>Stony Brook, NY  11794-7028
>
>InterNet: [log in to unmask]
>Phone: (516)444-7770
>Fax: (516)689-8801

These are certainly important questions.  In fact, much or most nectar
collected during a honey flow is deposited in the brood combs before being
"moved up" so a large portion of the honey going into the supers has been
in contact with brood cells. If the wax in the brood chamber is absorbing
any of the fluvalinate, then it would stand to reason that a portion of the
incoming crop is coming in contact with the chemical.  I've been told by
others on the BEE-L that the fluvalinate breaks down rapidly and isn't
likely to last in honey.  Can anyone  comment further?

The bees are constantly moving food around in the hive: in springtime they
will move excess stores up as the brood nest expands.  Some probably ends
up in supers. There's no way to prevent this.  So why do they recommend
using the apistan only when supers are off?  I mean, would it really make a
difference after all?   Has research borne any of this out?  Thanks for any
info...J