Date:
Tue, 9 Mar 2010 12:13:46 -0700
>I am trying to show that Ernesto and all have singled out varroa as the
>most serious factor. There are other factors, but this is at the top of
>their list. Many of the beekeepers either thought they had varroa under
>adequate control, or they weren't really checking all that much. You may
>not agree with this, but it is what they are saying.

That is the operating assumption here in Alberta, along with the assumption
that nosema ceranae is widespread and a potential cause of high losses.

As a result, Apivar has been recommended as well as Fumagillin in fall feed.

An intensive, province-wide survey by Dr. Nasr and his group showed last
fall that the levels of nosema and mites has been driven down to what are
assumed to be acceptable levels.  He has presented this information at a
number of meetings this winter.

Now we wait.  Soon we will see if the Alberta survival rate improves this
spring and if losses correlate to observed levels of these two factors.  So
far, I am hearing good reports.

A better than usual winter success will not conclusively prove that these
are the primary factors at work on the prairie, but it is hoped that an
analysis of the data may show patterns.

(Note: this topic is about winter loss, not CCD).