From:
"Dr. Reimund Schuberth" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Dec 1998 17:11:04 +0100
-----Urspr|ngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Ines Kinchen <[log in to unmask]>
An: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Datum: Dienstag, 1. Dezember 1998 12:41
Betreff: old bee boxes and frames

Dear Ines

according to the literature and German experiences it should be enough to
clean them out and scroch them with a propane torch, as you where told. But
you should heat the wood until the fibres of the wood begin to burn and the
colour of the wood beginns to change darker.
Plastic boxes cannot be heated by this way because they might burn or
deform. Plastic boxes should be cleaned with a low concentrated
NaOH-Solution, but special protection-equipment (long gloves, goggles), is
necessary for this work

Quite the same method as I told before can be used to desinfect the frames.
But mostly it isn't done because of the lower price of the frames and the
amount of work. The wax has to be removed before desinfection work. In
Germany it can be sold legally but has to be signed as "contaminated wax".
It's used for candle making or desinfected by higher temperature.

>If we have to get rid of the frames, can we still use the old boxes?

If the boxes are quite good and doing their work you should reuse them after
desinfection.
It's your money .....

Sincerely

Reimund