From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Mar 2007 10:50:31 -0400
[log in to unmask] wrote:
>I agree with Lloyd.  I once saw checkmite strips in a beekeeper's
>hive with supers on during a honey flow in June!  When I told him he
>was DEAD wrong, he objected and said 'by now these strips have very
>little strength and I need them to keep mites in check.'  I told him
>he was putting himself and his customers at risk of nerve damage!

This is a perfect example of one of the problems with pesticides,
people not following the label. If you use an unapproved product you
don't even get a label to NOT read. The MSDS for oxalic is pretty
scary, by the way. (See below)

>In my opinion, checkmite should be forbbiden in beehives period.
>Something is wrong with an agency that approves a nerve agent and
>procrastinates approving oxalic acid solution.

As I recall, coumaphos was given an emergency exemption at the request
of the beekeeping industry. It isn't really "approved" at all.
(Section 18 authorizes EPA to allow States to use a pesticide for an
unregistered use for a limited time if EPA determines that emergency
conditions exist.)

The idea was to buy time for the industry to get other products tested
and approved. I don't think anyone originally expected it to be still
in use so many years later. Since then several products have been made
available to US beekeepers. I don't know what is holding up oxalic.

* * *

Oxalic Acid
MSDS

DANGER! Poison! May be fatal if swallowed.
Corrosive!! Causes severe irritation and burns to skin, eyes and
respiratory tract.
Harmful if inhaled or absorbed through skin.
May cause kidney damage.

Route of entry:
Eye contact, skin contact, skin absorption, inhalation and ingestion.

Effects of acute exposure

Eye contact:
Irritant.
May be corrosive to the eyes.
Skin contact:
May cause skin burns.
May cause severe irritation.
May be absorbed through the skin.

Inhalation:
Harmful if inhaled.
May cause irritation or burns to the nose, throat and respiratory system.

Ingestion:
Toxic.
May cause nausea and vomiting.
May cause convulsions.
Harmful if swallowed.
May cause shock.
May cause burns.
May cause gastro-enteritis.
May cause renal damage, as evidenced by bloody urine.
Estimated fatal dose is 5 to 15 grams.

Effects of chronic exposure:
Pre-existing eye, skin and respiratory disorders may be aggravated.
Prolonged exposure may cause dermatitis.
May affect the kidneys.
Pre-existing kidney disorders may be aggravated.
May cause cyanosis of the fingers.
Oxalic acid is corrosive to tissue.
When ingested, oxalic acid removes calcium from the blood.
Kidney damage can be expected as the calcium is removed from the blood
in the form of calcium oxalate.
The calcium oxalate then obstructs the kidney tubules.

--
pb