From:
Medhat Nasr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Sep 2010 08:47:13 -0600
Randy said:
There are lots of changes in the hive during winter.  To suggest without
further evidence, and no controls, that the sucrose feeding was the cause
of
some effect may be rather specious.  I'm waiting for some actual data
before
I give this claim credence.

One more question, how can bees survive in the Canadian Prairies where
feeding sucrose is essential for surviving long winters? In fact in our
region,Alberta Canada we need to take out most of canola honey and replace
it with sugar feed. Canola honey crystalizes and becomes not accessible to
bees for feed during winter. Therefore, bees can starve if it winters on
canola honey.  Alternative theories:
1. This type of bacteria is not needed for bees to survive
2. There is enough bacteria in the bees to get them through winter
although they are fed sugar syrup.
3. Having sugar syrup and honey in the hives at the same time might
provide enough environment for this type of bacteria survive and help
bees.

Colony environment as a unit is different from testing individual bees.
Therefore, generalization sometimes does not explain what happen at the
colony level in real life.

medhat

Medhat Nasr, Ph. D.
Provincial Apiculturist
Crop Diversification Centre North

17507 Fort Road
Edmonton, AB, Canada T5Y 6H3
Tel: (780) 415-2314    Fax: (780) 422-6096
Mailto:[log in to unmask]